Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Spare Me the Minutiae


December Sky
by Carolee Ross


Spare me the details
Of the checkups
And the endless luncheons and Bo Peep breakfasts
For, they are of no interest to me
They are part of the endless minutiae
That makes existence banal.

Give me the details
Of the sumptuous orchard
And the turbulent sky
Of the bird caught in flight
And the storms that rush forth
Moving rumbling waves and tumbling clouds across the sky.

Spare me the details
Of the child with the runny nose
The lines in Wal-Mart
The trip to the flea market
Unless of course
The treasures there were mysterious or gaudy or extravagant.

Tell me of your thoughts
About the Universe
And the Ocean
And Love
About such matters that makes a heart sing
And transform life
Into a vibrant adventure with all its pain and joy.

For I'm too old to dwell
On such sundry, dull beige things.
I want streaks of color
Cries of passion
Trees that preen and dance in the wind
And a life without the dearly, dulling recounting of dreary minutiae.



3 comments:

  1. Carolee, I love this poem!! I truly enjoy all of your writing!! This one is so heartfelt. A joy to read. Love, Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Lisa. I should have dedicated this poem to you and your vibrant colors that describe the Universe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this poem, and I'm a person who doesn't love poetry.

    ReplyDelete