Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Don't Edit for a Friend by Carolee Ross (copyright 2010)

Don't Edit for a Friend
by Carolee Ross
 

My friend of almost 50 years

Asked me to edit his memoirs

I trust your judgement, he said

I've read your stories

And your letters and know I'm making a good choice.



His letters had always been beautiful

Full of intelligence and sensitivity and kindness

But what I read in his memoirs

Was trite and maudlin and uninteresting

Incredibly uninspired.



So I went to work,

Smoothing transitions,

Clarifying, adding suggestions,

Working on the pitiful document for more time than I ever had before

And sent the revision on.



I encouraged him and told him not to mind all the red

And urged him to keep going,

That writing wasn't easy

And that I'd been redlined for decades

And learned, and grew, and finally became a bit of a writer.



He wrote that he felt he'd been raped

That he felt as if I was telling him to stand in a corner

And excused his attempt at writing

As "not for publication"

Not for public consumption.



His story was an attempt to tell a tale from the past

It was part of a larger story whose chapters came before this one

He wrote it as a stream of consciousness exercise

And didn't think I'd rip it apart

With such hatred.



Now, for the first time in years,

There is silence

And I suspect anger on the other end of Internet space

Was it retribution for wrongs done long ago

Or a good editor trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear?



Don't edit for a friend,

Don't try to teach a pig to sing

It will only

Annoy the pig

And waste your time.












No comments:

Post a Comment