Sunday, June 19, 2011

To Gil with Love on Our Anniversary by Carolee Ross-Golpe


Fifteen  years ago, I thought
That life would always be
Memories and longing
And anguished words,
An empty bed
And a life spent in solitude.


A life spent wearing the armor
Of a self-actualized woman;
Independent, feisty,
One with many interests
And loving friends
With a house full of animals
And plants and books and music.

I was so together
Everyone said;
I had my work,
I could summon up images
And play the sorceress,
Commanding my computer
And my legion of cameras
To obey my bidding.

Creating,
Fashioning words out of stars
Walking on the wings of the wind
Grasping at the sands of time
Dancing with ghosts
And tarnished dreams.

Sixteen years ago
I really didn’t want to meet you;
I didn’t need a man
To fill my arms and my soul.

I was safe, immured in my woodsy castle
No love could pierce this armored shell
fashioned out of brittle pieces of my heart;
Constructed with tears and sighs
And laden with dollops of sarcasm.


Occasionally I glanced at old photos
Tattered and fading;
Of myself in love, of myself in pain
Of myself in loss
Of myself with the smile of a happy clown.

And swore that no more
Distantly disturbing faces
Would clutter my study and my life.
And swore that no allegiance
Would tie my wings
And singe my soul
And pull me back to grief.

So I tended my garden
And wrote my stories
And missed my Papa
And watched old films
And read until I’d vicariously experienced
Every  emotion
My eyes cried tears
My heart took in strays.














But then the miracle happened
The kind I’d always called trite
I gathered whatever courage
That was left inside my soul
And answered a short bleep in space
After listening to stringent warnings about
That sort of folly.

You were an Aquarian with a Cancer Moon you said;
So was I --
how could another mortal bear such a fate?
You’d been to Nam
while I picketed and protested.

We’d both been married to possessive, critical people
For way too many years --
And then you told me you were a strange mix;
Half Latino, half Slavic
But as serendity would have it -- so was I.




After two months of writing
Lots of E-mail notes,
This wounded woman went forth,
Mentally battered
and emotionally bruised

To meet you;
My twin, my friend, my lover,
The swan I was sure had died years ago,
The Man at the Last Chance Saloon.

And there began a fairy tale
In this epoch of cynism
A slightly scarred Cinderella
And a sweet introverted Prince,
Friends throughout the ages,
Twins who were created
at the same cosmic moment in time
When suddenly the vortex pulled us apart
to hurl through the Universe, forever
Or so I thought.


It was you, dear Gil,
whose dark eyes held mystery
whose touch was new, yet dear,
familiar yet intense;
whose gentle voice whispered songs of the ages
whose face I knew in a glance,
whose soul was the other half of mine.
 










1 comment:

  1. How wonderful that you opened your heart and met a man you're so happy to be with.

    ReplyDelete